Director, Value & Access
Aries Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a specialty pharmaceutical company focused on commercializing best in class products to treat gastrointestinal diseases. Aries Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Aries Group, Ltd. which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Cosmo Pharmaceuticals, N.V.
Aries first approved product, Eleview, is an injectable composition intended for use in gastrointestinal endoscopic procedures. In addition, the company has a robust pipeline of three late-stage gastrointestinal focused products. Aries is building the infrastructure in San Diego, CA to commercialize these products starting with the launch of Eleview which recently took place in early May.
The Director of Value & Access will help lead Aries’ creation and implementation of best-in-class Value & Access capabilities leading to access and profit optimization of Aries’ pharmaceutical and device product portfolio. This individual will be a key member of the commercial leadership team, and serve as a principal contributor to integrate cross functional efforts and shape commercialization strategy within the US market.
Primary emphasis will be to design and implement go-to-market commercialization strategies for Aries’ intended launch of three GI specialty pharmaceutical products over the next 18-24 months. Key activities will focus on creating and communicating compelling product value proposition aligned with customer needs and access decision process; engage with external stakeholders to inform and validate specific products and company strategies; develop the information, tools and resources for customers and company personnel that support optimal market access; and help formulate channel and payer engagement strategies for every lifecycle phase.
The position does not currently have direct reports but future expansion is possible.
Location: San Diego, CA
- Create a vision and strategic plan for Value & Access across all company products in alignment with the objectives of US Commercial Operations.
- Maintain strategic and operational alignment with Account Management, Trade and Contracting organizations in areas of payer marketing, value proposition development, pricing and contracting strategies, and admin fees/rebate negotiations.
- Fully understand and stay abreast of the complex and ever-changing US payer and channel landscape; assess challenges and impact on Aries’ current and future products; identify key trends and requirements for decision makers, reimbursement authorities, and payers.
- Interface with key stakeholders and influencers, including payer, HCP, government, advocacy, & patient entities to represent company interests, appropriately influence policies, rulemaking and coverage, coding, and payment policies for Aries products in alignment with key company interests.
- Analyze situation in terms of coverage and reimbursement of Aries products, existing and emerging payer policies, competitive landscape and trends, pricing and contracting strategies/trade-offs, potential barriers to provider and patient access, and opportunities to influence improved outcomes.
- Work closely with Medical Affairs and R&D to provide recommendations and rationale for evidence development plans in terms of health economic, patient centric and real-world effectiveness data. Contribute to clinical/HEOR studies and medical communication activities to advance market access goals.
- Work closely with Commercial and Medical teams on channel communication strategies including development of disease education presentations, value dossier, and other product and support education.
- Build product value propositions, programs, tools, resources, and market responses to better position and influence favorable access and patient persistency; achieve cost-effective, efficient delivery of products and services to payers, providers, and patients.
- Generate insights to understand and validate product value through continuous key stakeholder engagement (e.g. market research, advisory boards, interviews, account visits, etc.).
- Help assess, identify and manage potential programs such as patient financial assistance (PAP), and co-pay support.
- Align Value & Access strategic and tactical plans to integrate with and achieve Aries strategic commercial initiatives and revenue forecasts; heighten the integral role of Market Access within the commercial operation.
- Other duties as assigned.
Collaborate with Aries Stakeholders to provide insight and support in key areas including:
- Pricing & Contracting: price setting, monitoring, and management strategy; contracting strategy for key sites of care and channels.
- Payer Strategy: strategic account targeting and strategy; Account Management strategy and implementation; Reimbursement Strategy (Coverage, Coding, and Payment).
- Patient Access Programs: patient assistance programs; co-pay support programs; foundation support strategy; field reimbursement support services.
- Trade: distribution and dispensing strategies; account team for 3PL, wholesalers / distributors, Specialty Pharmacy.
- Minimum of 8 years of pharmaceutical or relative industry experience in positions related to Market Access/Managed Markets.
- In depth understanding of US Market Access, pricing and reimbursement dynamics, requirements and regulations.
- Experience in Gastroenterology Therapeutic Area and Hospital and/or Ambulatory Surgery Center markets desired.
- Experience in product launch readiness, including development of product value communication strategy and tools (e.g. dossier, models, etc.).
- Ability to design and conduct market research to support product value.
- Must be flexible, able to manage multiple tasks, and have strong attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external contacts at all levels.
- Function independently.